Thursday, March 28, 2013

Why do I post the time it took to draw these?

I've seen really terrible drawings that when criticized  the artist (usually a student) will say something like "but I spent 10 hours on it!), or on the other side will say they didn't have enough time, or are somehow saying "look what I did in only X hours!

None of those reasons are the reason I post the times of my drawings. I post the times so that you can know that these are gesture drawings. These were drawings done in my class. The model will hold a pose for 2 minutes or 5 minutes or whatever, when the timer goes off, the model moves.  Gesture drawing is not a warm up, its an end to a means. Doing short poses forces you to think and act in certain ways while drawing. It gets you thinking about story, line of action and silhouette. These are 2 and 5 minute drawings.

No comments: